Monday, August 23, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

“I’m not eating carbs” is a frequent response I get when people find out what I do. I felt like this issue has been covered over and over, but thanks to Dr. Atkins, the media, celebrities and their ill-informed personal trainers, this mass hysteria and carbophobia is perpetuated.

Recently, I read about the “new and improved” Atkins diet meant to entice dieters by tying a pretty bow around more fruits and vegetables and even a vegetarian option in the diet. When it comes down to it, the main principle behind the diet is still the same: limiting carbohydrate intake significantly to induce a state of “ketosis.” This metabolic reaction occurs by restricting glucose in the body. Similarly, diabetics experience this when there is not enough insulin, or there is tissue resistance that won’t allow glucose into the cells. I can’t help but think, “why would you want to go on a diet that mimics a diseased state?!”

The body’s main source of fuel is glucose. When the body is severely restricted from carbohydrates or glucose, it begins to look for other sources of energy by breaking down fat and lean muscle tissue. The selling point of the diet focuses on the former, when in reality it’s mostly the latter that occurs. The problem (or survival mechanism) is our bodies are extremely efficient at storing fat and will end up breaking down more protein from our muscles, which ultimately slows down metabolism.

Rapid weight loss is seen in this diet from loss of water stored in the muscles. The longer the diet is kept up, the more strain is put on the kidneys to filter out “ketone bodies” built up as a result of ketosis.

The body needs about a minimum of 120 grams of carbohydrates just to function and get proper glucose to the brain and organs. The Atkins diet advocates 20 grams or less a day! A minimum of 45% of your daily calories should come from carbohydrates. So for me, if I eat about 1500 calories, 675 calories should come from carbohydrates. Divide that by 4 calories/gram and that’s about 169 grams!

Before I studied nutrition, I tried this diet for quite some time and I can personally tell you I felt extremely lethargic, moody, depressed, sleepy, and unable to focus. I probably lost 10-15 pounds and regained it all back within a short amount of time after eating normal foods.

How to eat carbs and stay slim:
• Choose whole grain options for pasta, rice, and bread.
• Stay far away from high-fructose corn syrup, foods high in sugar, and fried foods.
• Portion control (refer to prior post)
• Include more fiber such as oatmeal, fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts.

2 comments:

  1. My mother always told me that I had to be careful when I eat dried fruit because of the amount of cholesterol in a serving size. Although when I look at my package of dried cranberries the nutrition facts say 0mg. So, does dried fruit have more cholesterol than fresh fruit?

    GAA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi GAA,

    Fresh fruit and vegetables do not have cholesterol and in fact can help lower it because of their fiber content. What you do want to watch out for in dried fruit is the higher percentage of sugar. You can typically eat a lot more dried fruit, therefore more sugar, than fresh fruit because it's dehydrated, takes up less space in your stomach, and is quicker to eat.

    ReplyDelete